Friday, June 22, 2007

Eating In: Oh So Simple.. Chicken and Veg



Note to self: buy smaller dinner plates

Now, it's nothing flash, nothing fancy... but WOW I enjoyed my dinner tonight. I said when I started this blog (or I think I said) that I'm not a great cook. And anyone who's ever eaten anything I've made will know that I'm certainly not a confident cook. But I said (I think) that I wanted to show people that anyone can cook a meal, or bake a cake, or anything they want.

But, back to tonight.

I decided to do a full-on workout: my cardio and weights program together. Originally I'd planned to treat myself to KFC for dinner tonight, after the topic came up at lunch. But after it all, I really just wasn't in the mood. So I ducked into the local fresh chook shop to pick myself up a chicken breast. Then I grabbed some dessert (more about that later).

I cut the breast in half (cos damn, it was huge). Threw some frozen vegies into a saucepan of water. Heated a frypan and added a spray of canola oil. When the pan was hot I threw in the chicken. Then I sprinkled some Vegeta on the top side of it. When the bottom was ever so-lightly coloured I turned it over and sprinkled a little more Vegeta on the side that was now top. Switched the gas on under the vegies. Put a lid on the frypan and turned the heat right down to low. Went and watched a round or two on Temptation. When the vegies boiled I turned the heat down to a simmer. Turned the chicken over one last time. After the vegies had boiled a few minutes (maybe 5) switch everything off. Drain the vegies. Serve it all up. So easy, and so yum. And the chicken... soooo yum, so tender.

Now, how many of you have heard of Aunt Betty's steamed puddings? If you haven't given them a try, go get some. They come in single serves, which is perfect for me. Rip the foil off the top of one, whack it in the microwave and heat it on high for about 30 seconds, then tip it into a bowl. Dish up some ice cream and there you go - (almost) instant dessert!



What you see above is the de-lites sticky toffee pudding with ice cream. All low-fat :-( but still so yummy. And a lovely way to cap off a Friday.

No comments: