Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Eating In: 2-Minute Noodles



So, what does a gal living on her own have for dinner when she's tired, CBF, and not particularly hungry? Hardly a lick of food in the house, even though pantry and freezer are chockers.
Wow, a pack of 2-minute noodles. Hmm... some frozen vegies. Hm, I'm having an idea... it ain't pretty, but it's quick, and I'm guessing somewhat nutritious (or at least not UNhealthy).

Cook the noodles (without the packet flavouring) and let them drain thoroughly. Meanwhile heat oil in a wok, then add some crushed garlic, broccoli and cauliflower florets. Stir it all round for a few minutes (remember, frozen stuff has to thaw then heat... fresh would be SO much quicker but I never get through fresh stuff before it goes bad unless I buy tiny amounts and shop every couple of days and... well, yeah, anyway, I digress). Add the peas, corn and beans. Splash around some soy sauce, some honey, and a dash of sweet chilli. Keep it all moving until the vegies are heated through. Throw in the noodles and keep everything moving around until it's all hot. Then dish it up.

See, 2-minute noodles. But different.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

My CBF meal is a big arse bowl of pimped up porridge - wholegrain oats, coconut, seeds, vanilla, cinnamon and honey. Mmmm.

melbourne dreaming said...

Chicken flavoured 2-minute noodles were my favourite lunch throughout most of the 90's! They are my guilty secret.

But there is nothing wrong with good old "egg noddles" - all the badness is just in that little flavour sachet. Over here, I buy my noodles at M&S (posh!) and add Kello organic stock to the water for a REALLY basic lunch, chucking in any spare veggies to cook in the noodle water (usually chopped mushrooms and brocolli).

I like the idea of adding soy, honey and chilli... must try that.

Anna said...

Hm, yes, I wasn't a fan of porridge when I was growing up, but I think that was mainly because mum'd dish it up with just a sprinkling of brown sugar. Your incarnation sounds WAY better mellie!

I like your idea with the noodles and stock, melbourne dreaming. Funds are a little tight here at the moment, so I'm sure I'll be putting all ideas for 2-minute noodles to good use! I was actually stunned by the flavour of my attempt, it blew my mind. Even better when I had the leftovers the next day for lunch!