Wednesday, March 14, 2007

ROADTRIP!!! Wagga Wagga, NSW


The Australia Day long weekend saw the boy and I heading to Wagga so I could catch up with a couple of friends I haven't seen in ages (one of them for about two years). I think the area is a good indication of exactly how dry it is further inland. In the picture above you can see the red dust kicked up from the paddocks by the wind. There is simply no green to be seen in the countryside.

As far as eating goes, I didn't try out much of the local cuisine. One night was kebabs from a local, the next was a home-cooked meal. However there was opportunity to try out breakfast.


Cache Store of Food, located at 236 Bayliss Street, was the only place that had everything we could have felt like for breakfast. Day one saw me ordering pancakes with caramelised banana and maple syrup. Quite nice. Day two I chose the eggs benedict. My only complaint was that it initially came out with a smattering of pepper all over it. I kindly pointed out that I did not want this, and in fact would be ill if I ate it. They were quite nice, and in a short time I had a replacement serve that was more than adequate. I thoroughly enjoyed both breakfasts, however I felt the prices were a little... inflated. On a rather good note, the coffee was superb.


There is actually a surprising number of things to see around Wagga. A short trip out to Junee and you can visit what is supposedly Australia's most haunted houses: the historic Monte Cristo Homestead. It is decorated in the style of the time (late 1800s), and is rather interesting, if you like that sort of thing. Which I do. One of the places I lived when growing up was actually some old goldfields from the early 1900s, and I'm always interested in the history of our country.



While we weren't graced with any spooky incidents, there certainly were some creepy places. Like the old stables. Or the box room old lady Crawley had converted into a make-shift chapel so she could go to confession in the 23 years years after her husband died where she only left the property twice in all that time.


Me being me, I befriended a local, who followed us around while we wandered. Whenever we went inside he'd wait around outside, and when we emerged he'd come running. Gorgeous li'l kitty, bet he's a hit with visitors like myself who are a sucker for a little furry face.


Another place to see in Junee is the old Junee Licorice and Chocolate Factory. We didn't stay long - just long enough to have a look around and an ice cream - but it would be an interesting and informative place to spend a little time.

I recommend the Country Comfort as reasonably priced, clean, and with a nice pool for those ridiculously hot days that seem to plague Wagga in the warmer months. It's nothing flash, but quite adequate. Room service foccacia's at midnight aren't half bad either! Check wotif for any deals.

So go on - it's only a five-hour drive, not too far for a long weekend!

No comments: