Monday, June 21, 2010

Savoury Muffins

I really do prefer my muffins savoury as opposed to sweet. I don't know the why of it, that's just the way it is.

I wanted to try a different recipe, and found this one... I think it needs a little more tweaking. I found these more than a little bland, and they were in serious danger of being over-cooked before they got much colour in them. Next time I might try guyere, bacon and corn, and fry up the bacon well beforehand then use the fat as well... it won't be healthy, but I bet it'll be tastier!


Savoury Muffins
2 cups self-raising flour
1 tsp paprika or mustard powder
80g butter, melted and cooled
1 lightly beaten egg
1 cup milk, slightly warmed
100g feta, crumbled
100g ham, chopped finely
1/3 cup dried or semi-dried tomatoes

Preheat oven to 200C. Grease a 12-hole muffin tin or line with patty cases. Sift flour and paprika or mustard powder into a large bowl. Pour butter, egg and milk into a jug and stir well to combine. Make a well in the flour and pour the wet ingredients in. Stir to combine. Add the feta and ham and spoon until just combined.

Spoon into muffin holes to 3/4 full. Bake 20-25 minutes. Turn onto a wire rack. Serve warm with butter.

No comments: