Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Mmmm Fresh Pasta

I've wanted one for years. And this christmas, my mum got me one.

Oh yeah. A pasta machine. Mega-happiness.

So, mum and I got together and decided to make us some fresh pasta! It was a great experience, but I'm still not sure how on earth I'll operate this thing with only two hands... but I'll figure it out :)

I'm a bit late with this post, we did it some time either between Christmas and New Year, or very soon thereafter... I'm so slack.


We went with a 100:10:1 ratio of dough, if that makes sense (or if it's even how it's described): for every 100g of flour, we added 10g of oil and 1 egg. Or, in this case, 300g flour, 30g oil, and 3 eggs. Then the hard yakka started - kneading the damn dough. I had to pass this on to mum as I still had no strength in my right wrist, and I think she did a damn fine job of it.

After allowing the dough to rest for half an hour, we quartered it and started the fun.


We had no idea how thin we were meant to roll the stuff, and I've learned now that it does need to be a mite thinner. Either way, we soon worked out a system for rolling: one person turn the handle and thread the dough through, the other support it and hold it coming out. Then came time to send it through to make fettuccine.


We were quite proud of ourselves by this time. We'd not only worked out how to make the dough, but also how to roll it and cut it, and we had a pretty impressive production line going.


And this was the finished product. We cooked it up and served it with a tomato sauce of tinned tomatoes, passata, onion, and leftover christmas ham.

As I said, next time I'll roll the pasta thinner. But hey, for a first attempt, we did pretty good!!

3 comments:

mellie from tummyrumbles.com said...

There is nothing quite as satisfying as making your own pasta. Gosh..you make an Italian girl very proud! :-)

thanh7580 said...

I was thinking of making fresh pasta just this week. It's something I want to learn but always fear is too hard. I think I need to get myself on of those roller machines first.

melbourne dreaming said...

Wow! This looks so professional :) well done you! xx